West High School is a Professional Learning Community dedicated to academic excellence. We provide and support rigorous academic, cultural, college and career-readiness experiences for every student. West offers over 200 courses ranging from academic support to career and technical to college level, including the prestigious Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate programs, all designed for serious academic students. In addition, West High is committed to a strong program of character education. We challenge, empower, and inspire students to become contributing global citizens and life-long learners. The teaching staff is committed to excellence by motivating and challenging students in the classroom, in athletic competition, in school clubs, in artistic activities and in community service.
- International Baccalaureate: This internationally recognized program offers curriculum that combines 26 university level courses in English, a second language, social studies, math, science, and fine arts into a comprehensive, challenging high school program. West is also an IBCC approved school. IBCC combines IB and career and technology education for a career certificate upon completion.
- Top High School in Utah: West High is consistently ranked as one of the top high schools in Utah.
- Scholarships: Each year, scholarships offered to West High students typically total over $1 million in scholarship monies for our graduating seniors.
- Student Awards and Accolades: West High students achieve high honors in competitions such as the State Math Contest, Brigham Young University Science Bowl, State and National History Fairs, American High School Math Exam, Utah Academic Decathlon, debate, and chess.
- Alumni Association: West High has a very active Alumni Association, which raises $80,000- $90,000 annually for scholarships for West High graduating seniors.
- National Merit Scholars: For the past several years, West High has had the highest number of National Merit Semi-finalists in the state.
- Concurrent Courses: West High offers a large number of concurrent classes, allowing students to earn college credit while in high school.
- Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID): A continuous in-school academic support program which begins in middle school prepares students for college eligibility and success. Support is cross-curricular and on-going.
- Extended Learning Program: West High is home to one of the district's magnet Extended Learning Program for seventh- and eighth-grade students. This program is designed for gifted and talented students and is often a great introduction into the International Baccalaureate program.
- Advanced Placement (AP) Courses: Twenty-six AP classes and tests are offered in a variety of subjects, allowing students a chance to earn college credit when they pass the AP exams.
- Student Clubs: West High has a rich array of student clubs, offering its students the opportunity to feel that they are welcome and part of the school.
- Active School Community: West High enjoys the support of an active school community council and involved parents who truly care about the school and its students.
- World Languages: Our world language classes include American Sign Language, Arabic, French, German, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish.